Thank you very much for your interest in the Bow Valley Immigration Partnership's Immigrant Advisory Group. Please read the following information and complete the application form below.
For more information, please contact Meagan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-431-0705 or read our frequently asked questions.
About the Partnership:
The Bow Valley Immigration Partnership (BVIP) is a collaborative community project that brings together people and organizations from Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore, western M.D. of Bighorn, and Kananaskis to improve immigrant integration and ensure the Bow Valley is a welcoming community.
Our members include the Town of Banff, Town of Canmore, Bow Valley College, Canadian Rockies Public Schools, Banff Lake Louise Hospitality Association, Settlement Services in the Bow Valley, Banff Ministerial Association, The Job Resource Centre, Canmore Hotel and Lodging Association, Alberta Parks, Parks Canada, the Bow Valley Primary Care Network, and more.
BVIP is seeking enthusiastic foreign-born residents of the Bow Valley to join the partnership. Working alongside the BVIP council, the Immigrant Advisory Group meets monthly (alternating between Banff and Canmore) to help implement BVIP's 2015-2018 Integration Strategy, identify and respond to emerging integration challenges, and plan for research to support our next three year strategy.
This is not a paid opportunity, but help with transportation costs is available.
You Should Apply If:
- You were born outside of Canada
- You now live in Lake Louise, Banff, Canmore, Exshaw, Harvie Heights, Lac Des Arcs, Dead Man's Flats, or Kananaskis
- You believe a diverse and inclusive community is a healthy community
- You are interested in helping your community
- You feel comfortable communicating in English in a supportive and friendly environment
Benefits to You Include:
- Experience -- Volunteering is valued by Canadian employers, and this opportunity will allow you to demonstrate communication, teamwork, and leadership skills, as well as a commitment to community building. Participation in BVIP will look great on a resume!
- Professional development -- You will play an important role in the creation of the Bow Valley settlement strategy and will learn and practice group decision making processes, policy making, diplomacy, leadership, strategy, and communication skills. Some training opportunities may be provided.
- Knowledge -- You'll learn about how immigrants settle into a new country and what communities can do to help newcomers succeed. You'll also learn more about your community, including programs and resources that are available locally.
- Connections -- This is an excellent opportunity to make new friends and network with people from across the Bow Valley, including representatives of a variety of agencies, employers, and governments.
- Giving Back -- BVIP is an action-focused initiative determined to make a real difference. If you want to help newcomers and your community, here's your chance.
- Fun! We can't promise every meeting will be fun, but we'll do our best -- and we'll provide snacks to help fuel the creative process!
Advising on the activities of BVIP from the perspective of newcomers.
(Example: Making recommendations about BVIP priorities, helping to plan activities to build a welcoming community, contributing to marketing campaigns, suggesting new partnerships, and more.)
Sharing information between BVIP and community groups
Assisting in recruitment of new IAG members throughout the year, appointing new members by consensus
Assisting in election of IAG chairpersons and liaisons to the BVIP Council
Promoting the work and values of BVIP through friends, community channels, and networks
Acting as champions of welcoming and inclusive communities
Immigrant Advisory Group Application Form
If you would like to answer these questions in person or by phone, please call 403 431 0705.
The Bow Valley Immigration Partnership welcomes members of all backgrounds. Many questions in this application form are asked so that we can ensure people with many different experiences take part of the Immigrant Advisory Board. Your answers will be shared only with BVIP's Immigrant Advisory Group Recruitment Committee.